Sunday, February 22, 2009

What's Under the Covers?

After reading about cover letters on that site, I believe some of what they say is true, but some is not. I think the fact that they state the cover letters are the second thing read, after the resume, is not true. Everything that I have heard involves the cover letter being read first, and then if that is good enough, they will move on to the resume. Basically, you have to impress them with your writing to have them look at your resume. I also think that the cover letter should talk about the company, but should also talk about how the applicant fits in to the company. Just talking about the company won't set you apart from other applicants. The people that are reading the cover letters already know about the company, so they want to see what you say that sticks out from others.
I think the format is very similar to what I have been taught, so I agree with that section. I think the adding of the P.S. section is a little silly and unprofessional. I think that if you are trying to market yourself to the company, you should do so within the main points of the cover letter. Show them why you are good for this company and why you stick out from the others. I also do agree that you need to personalize each cover letter, and not send out mass cover letters. If you don't personalize the cover letters for each company, then the company will just throw your cover letter out.
I think the most helpful sections of the site was the format section, the sample cover letter, and the checklist. That way, anyone can compare their cover letter to their sample, and then check off to make sure they have the correct format and check to make sure everything is included in the cover letter that they should include.
Although most of this information is useful, I have heard most of it (except for the stuff I didn't agree with earlier). I have written a few cover letters for various internship applications. I think that this information is helpful, but some of the information is not correct. I would suggest someone going to an actual professional person, or someone at the Michelin Career Center. They have a great background in writing resumes and cover letters and can help you out tremendously. You can't trust everything on the Internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment